Good morning chums!
Posting a little later in the week than usual as, frankly, I didn’t have much to talk about….weather remained meh, knitting was ongoing and, due to the former, not much went on other than hot chocolate and the latter.
On Tuesday I had my haircut: some people call this sort of self-care ‘pampering’ but not me. (As a side note, I don’t regard somebody in an apron dragging out my body hair, subjecting me to a pummelling, restricting my diet to ‘juice’ or slopping chemicals with a dubious provenance on my skin ‘pampering’ either. Time to knit, no washing up and steady supplies of choccy? Now you’re talking.).
I had come to the easy conclusion that a short hair cut which required 5-weekly trips to a hairdresser was not compatible with my low spend lifestyle, and plus (this is what made it easy) I don’t like getting my hair cut. I would rather have my teeth drilled – a bad haircut follows you around (inevitably) for weeks and weeks, bad teeth? Keep your mouth closed and no-one but you knows. I’m joshing of course, but I’ve never cried over a visit to the dentist, but I’ve often shed a tear for a bad ‘do’.
This one was ok – I paid enough money for my views to count, and had an inch or two trimmed off and my fringe managed. My hair hero at the moment is Emmy-lou Harris. It’s unlikely that she and I will be confused anytime soon, but at least it gives me something to aim for – and allows me a damn good excuse for hairdresser avoidance!
My hair is now shoulder-ish length – and the bonus of this is that it makes hats look a bit better on me*. To celebrate I used up a treasured skein of DK from Countess Ablaze (ball band lost somewhere…), the pattern is my own and might (I emphasis the ‘might’) turn into a pattern at some point. I love garter on the bias and it makes a grand alternative to rib – hugging your head in a loving fashion. The construction is fairly simple (as long as you don’t mind picking up stitches) and it’s a good way to use up a much loved ball of gorgeousness.
I finished Carbeth and I love it. Or so I thought until I asked my husband to take a few photos. My photos of myself are carefully managed and posed for the best possible angles. Hubby just pointed the camera and shot. I looked like a dumpy old raspberry and it’s taken me a day or so to get over the experience. Sigh. Anyway I added about 5 inches to the length of the body, took away about 3 or 4 inches from the sleeve and made the 4th size. I blocked it to ensure that the neck was ‘funnel’ as opposed to ‘choky’ and squared the shape of the body. I think it looks good but sadly you’re going to have to take my word for it. This is the best photo I could tolerate!
Cline remains on hold – and could well be frogged as I rather like this pattern that I spied on Ravelry..…
*I’ve never really got on with hats – usually ending up looking goofy rather than stylish….